Dental implants are becoming one of the most popular types of tooth replacement due to their natural appearance, and unlike dentures are permanent fixtures in the mouth which means they look and function the same way your natural teeth do. But dental implants aren't cheap which is why we advise every patient that has them fitted to ensure they follow a good oral care routine to ensure their implants last for many years.
Poor dental care when you have dental implants can lead to serious diseases which can affect the gum tissue and the bone.
Here are The Smile Centre UK's top tips for caring for your dental implants:
1. Switch to an anti-bacterial toothpaste as this will help to reduce the build-up of plaque bacteria
2. Use an electric toothbrush as they are better at removing plaque
3. Floss daily as this will reduce the plaque bacteria between the teeth, regular toothbrushes do not reach all the spaces between the teeth
4. Quit smoking-If the gums and bones do not get enough nutrients to bond with the new false teeth the dental implants may fail. During the healing process anyone who continues to smoke could suffer from additional bone loss
5. Regular dental check-ups are even more important when you have dental implants. You should be seeing your dentist every 3-6 months where your implants, gums and natural teeth will be checked. A professional clean is recommended when you visit your dentist
6. Check your implants regularly - make sure they aren't loose by placing a finger on the tooth and wiggling it. It is very rare an implant will become loose but if there is ever any movement, even the slightest, you should treat it as an emergency and visit your dentist immediately